We measured the kinematics of a bicycle and rider during typical riding maneuvers on a treadmill using motion capture technologies. Our main findings came from analyzing the data using principal component analysis to characterize the dominant motions in control.
Motion capture data from three subjects performing a variety of maneuvers and different speeds can be downloaded from Figshare.
Moore, Jason; Kooijman, J. D. G.; Schwab, A. L.(2014): Motion Capture of Bicycling on a Treadmill. figshare. http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1082512
The software used to process the data for the publications can be found here:
It includes Matlab and Python analysis scripts and an interactive Matlab GUI.
- Moore, J. K., Hubbard, M., Schwab, A. L., Kooijman, J. D. G. & Peterson, D. L. Statistics of bicycle rider motion Procedia Engineering, 2010, 2, 2937-2942.
- Moore, J. K., Kooijman, J. D. G., Schwab, A. L. & Hubbard, M., Rider motion identification during normal bicycling by means of principal component analysis. Multibody System Dynamics, Springer Netherlands, 2011, 25, 225-244.
- Moore, J. K., Human Control of a Bicycle, University of California, Davis, 2012.
- MAE Exit Seminar, May 15, 2012, Davis, CA, USA, Human Control of a Bicycle
- U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame, October 19, 2011, Davis, CA, How We Ride Bikes with Luke Peterson, Mont Hubbard, and Ron Hess
- UCD Tahoe Environmental Research Center, May 12, 2011, Lake Tahoe, NV, How We Ride Bikes with Luke Peterson and Mont Hubbard
- UCD MAE Seminar, October 29, 2009, Davis, CA, A First Look at Rider Biomechanics while Controlling a Bicycle
- UCD MAE Qualifying Exam, October 9, 2009, Davis, CA, Human Control of a Bicycle
- Mulitbody Dynamics 2009, July 1, 2009, Warsaw, Poland, Rider Motion Identification During Normal Bicycling By Means of Principal Component Analysis
- TU Delft Mechanics Colloquium, June 4, 2009, Delft, Netherlands, A First Look at Rider Biomechanics while Controlling a Bicycle
This video shows an animation of the markers while one subject rides without their hands on the handlebars.
This is a video of a run.
This is a video of a Dutch television show that did a piece on the work: