ENG 004 Lecture 16, Nov 19, 2012
- Homework #6 due now
- Homework #7 will be posted this afternoon
- Read Chapter 11
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Working Drawings
Gage Block Example
Five Step Process
- Isolate and define the functions of the feature/part.
- Prioritize the functions.
- Identify the datum reference frame based on the functional properties
and control the datum features.
- Select the proper control.
- Calculate the tolerance values.
Rail Mount Example
Rail Mount Example
Detail drawings, production drawings, final drawings
The complete set of standardized drawings specifying the manufacture and
assembly of a product based on its design.
Working drawings are either multi-view drawings of a single part providing
all the detail necessary to manufacture the part of an assembly drawing
showing how previously manufactured parts are put together.
Includes: detail drawings of each non-standard part, an assembly or
subassembly drawing showing all the standard and nonstandard parts in a
single drawing, a bill of materials, a title block.
are sometimes represented as an exploded pictorial drawing.
ANSI Paper Size
ISO Paper Size
Views should be scaled to fit on the paper.
Block in boundaries of views to space
Stay within the borders
Views should be aligned, if not they should be labeled
- 1 = 1: Full
- 1 = 2: Half
- 1 = 4: Quarter
- 1 = 8: Eighth
- 1 = 10: Tenth
- 2 = 1: Double
- 1:1 Full
- 1:2 Half
- 1:5 Fifth
- 1:10 Tenth
- 1:20 Twentieth
- 1:50 Fiftieth
- 1:100 Hundredth
Used to record all the important information necessary for the working
- Usually located in the lower right corner
- ANSI Standards
- Continuation block on other sheets may not have as much detail as first
Common Elements in Title Blocks
- Name and address of Organization/Company
- Title of the drawing
- Drawing number
- Names and dates of the drafters, designer, checker, engineer, issue date,
contract number, etc.
- Design approval
- Predominant scale
- Sheet number and sheet size
- Default tolerances
- Units of measure
- Special finishes
- Weight of the item
Title Block Standards
Example Working Drawings
- revision blocks
- common parts
- parts list
- hole tables
- detail views
- general tolerances
- exploded view
Keys and Keyways